Friday, August 6, 2010

Beating Odds

Today I watched my very first UAAP game this season. It's between the University of the Philippines and the Ateneo de Manila University. They call it 'The Battle of Katipunan" as the schools are located along the avenue. Naturally, bottom seed UP lost to Ateneo, 78-53. Six games into the season and UP is still without a win, they will close the first round with the National University on Saturday.

I got in for free because I have a Sportswriting class for this semester and our teacher happens to be a PR expert who has some reasonable influence in the UAAP. I have a media pass that allows me to watch any game I want, on courtside.

The fun thing about staying on the courtside is you get to see things you never have the chance to see on TV, or on any other place in the arena.

1.) My friend Sara is jealous that Nico Salva who's tall and really good-looking (the best looking in the Ateneo squad, IMO) was walking/running just three meters away from me. For all we know, I could have inhaled a dead skin cell and its stuck somewhere there in my nosehair.. OMG! We can definitely clone him!

2.) Ateneo wore their white uniform which is actually a very light and thin fabric. I can see who's wearing briefs and who's wearing supporters. I swear. My classmate Janina will agree. Ateneo seriously has to get new shorts.

3.) Mark Lopez is the hottest player on court. Really.

4.) Basketball players tap each other's ass A LOT. There's no other social event which tap asses like a basketball game with the exemption of gay parties. You shoot, you get tapped in the ass. You fall, get tapped. You get fouled, get tapped. You sub, get tapped. You foul, get tapped. It's unnerving. Even for me.

With that said, it's obvious that I can't wait to watch another game. I will see UP win against NU on Saturday. It will happen.

***

I planned to row again today after three weeks. But since I am still awake with less than two hours 'til the agreed meeting time, I decided not to. Obviously, I'll die if I jog and do some drills before I subject myself to 2 sets of 15 minutes of continuous rowing. Yes, I still fear death.

I promise, however, to row next week when my money vault would be replenished and I would have prepared for it physically.



No comments: